Ask one hundred different people what the key to success is and you’ll likely get one hundred different answers. It’s kind of like asking someone what the meaning of life is. Luckily for us, unlike the question about the meaning of life, the key to success is relatively easy to define within a few varying but similar parameters.
I have been studying what makes people successful – much like Napolean Hill did when he was writing his famous novel. There are a few things that all majorly successful people have in common. Here are 3 of those things…
1. Goals – Successful people set goals for just about everything they want to get done in life. They make those goals specific, write them in the first person present tense, have a way to measure their progress, and always create a new goal once they’ve completed one. Take the relatively well-known story about the 1953 graduating class of Yale University. The 3% that had specific written goals had accumulated more wealth over the next 20 years than the other 97% of the class combined. I’d say that’s a pretty good argument for the power of goals.
2. Consistency – Successful people do what unsuccessful people are not willing to do and they do it on a daily basis. They take the steps necessary to achieve their goals – no matter how little the step may seem at the time. I heard a story recently about a very successful online marketer who put in about 80 hours of work his first month and only netted $15. He put in the same amount of work his second month and netted around $700. Again in his 3rd month, he was at around $2500. Then, in his fourth month online, he had a $25,000 week! One week! That seems amazing but that week would not have been possible if he hadn’t been consistently putting in the effort it took to get there. That’s not to say that you have to slave your life away to hit the big payday. However, let’s be honest, shall we? The myth of something for nothing is just that…a myth. If you want to reap the rewards, you have to consistently sow the seeds.
3. Persistence – Successful people have this unique brand of stick-to-it-tiveness that will not allow them to stop until they’ve reached their goal. Some people refer to it as their “why” – that their reason for doing something far outweighs their reason not to do it. Successful people don’t ever really fail because they don’t let a less than perfect solution to a problem stop them. They simply see a way that didn’t work and go back to the drawing board to find a way that does. The odds may seem insurmountable against them are merely seen as a challenge instead if a deterrent.
I suppose that would mean that the key to success could be summed up like this:
Consistently and persistently pursue your specific goals.
Seems simple doesn’t it? The truth is that achieving success is not some impossible pipe dream that it out of reach for all but the select chosen few. The truth is that only the select chosen few have decided to achieve success. The rest are content to merely dream about achieving success.